New course sets up SCC students for future in cannabis industry

The Cannabis Industry Education class offers insight into an expanding industry

Elsa Olofsson (Flickr)

The next available eight-week Cannabis Industry Education course begins in March.

The United States’ cannabis industry is currently worth over $61 billion, according to one estimate. That number is expected to grow to $100 billion by the year 2030. 

If you have ever wanted to work in the cannabis industry, or just want to know more about it, then a new program at Scottsdale Community College might be for you.

SCC has recently partnered with Tempe-based cannabis company Sonoran Roots to offer scholarships to students wanting to take the school’s new eight-week Cannabis Industry Education course.

Dr. Bobra Crockett is the lead faculty for the Cannabis Education program, and she explained how the class may help students find their footing in a skyrocketing industry. 

“(This course) provides the basic training and knowledge in the key areas of the cannabis industry,” Crockett told Northeast Valley News in a recent interview. 

In the course, students will learn about the industry’s history, its economics, supply chain management, career opportunities, and much more. It is offered online and does not require any prerequisites.

Cannabis Industry Education is a non-credit offering from SCC, meaning students will not get a certificate or degree upon finishing the program. However, a letter of completion will be made available for use on job applications. 

The cost to enroll is $400, but thanks to SCC’s partnership with Sonoran Roots, up to 10 SCC students are eligible for a $400 scholarship that covers the cost of the class. The next available class starts on March 21st, exactly one week after spring break. 

For more information on the program, contact Dr. Crockett at 420business@scottsdalecc.edu.