Arizonans and voters nationwide increasingly see Trump as “troubling, divisive”—latest polling

“You can recover from bad policies, but you can’t recover from a bad heart—”And Donald Trump has a bad heart.”—Independent voter
Alisdare Hickson (Flickr)
A protest against Donald Trump when he was president. London

A new poll by The New York Times and Siena College shows that President Biden has all but erased Donald Trump’s early polling advantage. 

While both Trump and Biden remain in a close match up— President Biden’s improvement appears to stem from an increasing number of Americans seeing Trump as unpredictable—even, unsteady. 

Biden’s polling has also improved among his own. 

With the recent polls showing an increase of support from the greater share of those who supported him in 2020. 

Add to this, a majority of Americans who believe Mr. Trump has committed serious federal crimes.

And even though many voters wish there were different choices in the 2024 presidential election, the overall echoes continue that Donald J. Trump has committed crimes and is not above the law.  

“Just blah,” said Beth Prevost, a 59-year-old hairdresser and independent voter in Windsor Locks, Conn., in a recent New York Times article, summing up the feelings of many about the rematch. She said she was leaning toward Mr. Biden as “the lesser of the two evils.”

“You can recover from bad policies, but you can’t recover from a bad heart,” Ms. Prevost said. “And Donald Trump has a bad heart.”

As for Arizona voters, “Donald Trump is as troubling and divisive as it gets when you think of his possible leadership at the highest level,” says registered Independent voter, Leticia Feingold a retired accountant and Phoenix resident. 

“I may not like everything that Biden has done, but I simply cannot see myself voting for Trump. I believe that he thinks he’s above the law and is absolutely guilty of so many crimes, and he’s supposed to be a role model?”  

Young Arizona student voters have a bad taste for both candidates—but for very different reasons. 

Still, most agree that a vote for anyone but Biden is a vote for Trump and those we spoke with want no part of that. 

ASU college students told Northeast Valley News over the weekend that they are upset by Biden’s inaction in Gaza even though they understand that Hama’s struck first but they see the ongoing violence in that region as unacceptable—still, when asked if this was enough to sway them to vote for Trump the responses were resoundingly “no.”

A Muslim student who asked not to be identified told Northeast Valley News that she remembers when Trump was president and how he banned entry into the U.S. by Muslims from many different nations.

“It was a disgrace and there’s no trusting Trump to not do this, or worse, if he became president again.” 

“Honestly, if we had a different Democratic candidate—this probably wouldn’t even be a race,” said Cody Morris, an Arizona State University computer science major. “But I would never vote for Donald Trump and I don’t have a single friend that will vote for him that I know of.” 

When asked why he was opposed to Trump, Morris began to recite a list.

“Human rights, civil rights, women’s rights—Trump’s own beliefs that he is immune to the law, that’s just the surface stuff and (chuckling) some of the just insanely whacky stuff he says about immigrants and people in general, he’s not very intelligent…and he’s selling Bibles and shoes.”