ASU students hold rally over the weekend supporting Palestinians in the midst of a humanitarian crisis

Several student organizations condemn all violence and bring awareness to ongoing conflict
ASU+students+meet+for+rally+in+support+of+Palestinian+humanitarian+crisis+
ASU students meet for rally in support of Palestinian humanitarian crisis

ASU students and some community members showed support of Palestinians over the weekend by marching through the Tempe ASU campus raising posters, waving flags and condemning violence.

The rally was in support of Palestinians that are experiencing a humanitarian crisis while living in the Gaza Strip, an area targeted by Israel in order to “eliminate” Hamas and in retaliation for the Oct. 7 violent assault on its territory that killed at least 1,4000 in southern Israel and where hostages were taken (including some Americans) by Hamas.

The Hamas-run Health Ministry in Gaza claims that as a result, more than 4,000 Palestinians have been killed.

Chants like “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free!” could be heard in front of Old Main as a crowd of around 1,000 people attended the “All Out for Palestine” rally.

The rally was led by Students for Justice in Palestine, an ASU student-run advocacy group that promotes justice and human rights, and exists to educate the campus and surrounding community on the conflict in the Israel-Palestine region.

Some students from groups like, MECHA de ASU, AnakbayanPhoenix, BLM Phoenix Metro, Code Pink, the Party for Socialism and Liberation and Poder in Action were also in attendance.

In an ceasefire effort, a recent post from Martin Griffiths, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator of the United Nations came after growing concern on the many fronts of the violence and humanitarian crisis and is advocating for a ceasefire:

“The invasion of Israel and the taking of hostages was simply wrong and unacceptable, and their unconditional release is an essential component of any return to normalcy, he continued.  Meanwhile, as many as 1 million people have fled their homes to other parts of Gaza, he said, pointing out, however, that there is simply nowhere to go to for civilians to escape the destruction and privation. Warning against the real risk of the situation spiraling out of control, he stressed:  “A humanitarian ceasefire would go a long way to easing the epic human suffering.”

As the crowd marched from Old Main, across Palm Walk Overpass, along South College Avenue and back they stopped to give speeches and interact with the community.

One advocate from SJP spoke to the public on the rise of islamophobia and antisemitism during times of crises stating, “I want to tell them we are not terrorists, we are resistors!”

The rally concluded with more speeches by SJP members on the importance of community amidst violence.

“In a world that preaches equality, peace and justice, it is so important that we all unite in solidarity with the Palestinian people who, right now at this moment, are being oppressed,” said an unidentified SPJ member. “Choosing to ignore their struggles and remain silent actively supports the oppressor.”

Arizona State University released an official statement with regard to the rally:

The recent terrorist attacks by Hamas against the people of Israel and the subsequent retaliatory strikes have understandably caused distress and concern across the globe and in the Arizona State University community. The university has reached out to all students from the affected areas to offer support and help. ASU has resources available for members of our community who need support, including those who have family or loved ones in the conflict area.”