Arizona Faces Rising COVID Cases Amid Nationwide Surge of Concerning New Variant

Chad Davis (FLICKR)

A new COVID variant currently surging across The United States has made its way to The Valley, with the state of Arizona reporting a more than double spike in cases compared to the summer months. 

Concerns are being raised over the new variant called “Pirola”, which is characterized by a high number of mutations in its spike protein. Health professionals are closely observing its transmission rates and potential impact on immunity.

Dr. Scott Roberts, an infectious diseases specialist at Yale, recently expressed his concerns in an interview with Yale Medicine.

“Such a high number of mutations is notable. When Omicron appeared in 2021, its divergence from Delta led to a huge rise in cases as it evaded immunity from both infection and vaccination. We need to be vigilant about this new strain.” said Dr. Roberts.

Some notable people nationwide have reported being infected with COVID, including First Lady Jill Biden, who tested positive on Monday and has since fallen ill with “mild symptoms.”

This recent surge of the new variant has also influenced The Valleys entertainment scene. The super-famous rock band Metallica recently canceled their Glendale show after lead singer James Hetfield tested positive for COVID. The sold out State Farm Arena event will be postponed to a later date, said the band in an Instagram post. 

With the state of Arizona reporting a large spike in COVID-19 cases, unknown implications and uncertainty weighs on the mind of many Valley residents. Northeast Valley News spoke to a few of these residents regarding what they think of the worrisome news. 

David Estrada, a Phoenix college student, expressed concern over how a potential new outbreak could affect his first year of college. “With the school year about to start, the COVID situation always feels uncertain. I don’t want college to be in isolation like so much of high school was.” said Estrada. 

Many young adults who spent a majority of high school during the height of the COVID-19 Pandemic may find the persistent virus continuing to loom over their lives as they begin their college experience. However, many also feel optimistic that with current vaccine rates and reasonable guidelines enabled(such as self-isolating when sick), that we can battle the rise of a new variant without having to shut everything down. 

Northeast Valley News also spoke to retired Phoenix high school teacher Tom Higgins. “We’ve endured several waves of this virus. Each time we’ve had to adapt and respond to the evolving situation. Each time we learn more about it. If we all follow health professionals guidelines we should be alright,” Higgins said.

As always, the CDC recommends vaccinations as the foremost protection against COVID. They continue to advise on timely testing, wearing masks, and adhering to safety protocols.